We want to help you get well and return to your home or a home-like setting.
Skilled Nursing (Swing Bed)
After an illness, stroke, injury or surgery, you may be getting better but still need some additional skilled care before returning to a home environment.
Skilled nursing is a level of hospitalization care for patients who require certain services. Skilled nursing services (Swing Beds) are extremely beneficial when a patient is ready to leave the acute care level of a hospital stay, but is not yet well enough to return home.
At Freestone Medical Center, skilled nursing patients are cared for on the Acute Care unit of the hospital by our staff of health care professionals.
If you are a patient coming from another facility, a discharge planner from that facility will assist in transferring you to Freestone Medical Center (FMC) for skilled nursing services. In some cases, if you are already a patient at FMC and need further care, you may stay in the same hospital bed but change your level of care to skilled nursing service which will allow you the additional time and care needed for an optimal recovery and outcome.
As a skilled nursing patient at FMC you will receive the highest quality of care, with better staff-to-patient ratios than larger facilities or nursing homes. Patients can recover here, in their own community, while they are closer to family and friends.
Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance all have their own guidelines regarding skilled nursing care.
Skilled nursing services may include, but are not limited to:
- Rehabilitation services (may include physical, occupational and speech therapies)
- Laboratory monitoring
- IV medications or medications requiring monitoring by professional staff
- Tube feedings and nutritional stabilization
- Wound management/sterile dressing changes
- Qualifying bowel and bladder care
- Respiratory therapy
- Care of decubitus ulcers
- Instructions in ostomy or stoma care
Medicare requirements for admission to Skilled Nursing Care include:
- Three-day (consecutive) acute level of care stay within the past 30 days
- A Physician referral for the necessary daily skilled services related to the hospitalization
- Medicare Part A (Hospital) Benefit or available days remaining in current benefit period.
Swing Bed Self Pay
Swing Bed Self Pay services are available if justification for acute/skilled level of care is not met and you wish to remain within the hospital on a private-pay basis.
All private-pay charges will be paid on a seven-day basis to prevent any misunderstanding of long-term accumulated charges.
More detailed information regarding Swing Bed Self Pay charges that are most frequently incurred is available upon request.
Who Needs Skilled Nursing Services?
FMC has the advantage of offering individualized, convenient care with a personal touch.
Patients often choose skilled nursing swing bed services at FMC because they can be closer to home and it is more convenient for the family and friends involved in their care.
Types of patients that are candidates for Skilled Nursing/Swing Bed include, but are not limited to:
- Joint replacements or other orthopedic surgery patients needing frequent physical therapy.
- Stroke patients who need to improve their level of functioning with continued therapy.
- Cardiac patients needing skilled activity programs following a heart attack or acute episode of congestive heart failure.
- Patients requiring wound management/ sterile dressing changes
- Patients recovering from illnesses requiring continued IV therapy.
For more information please don’t hesitate to contact FMC Business Office at 903-389-2121 or the Inpatient Coordinator at 903-389-0959